Friday, October 8, 2021

2021 Yeti 100 Endurance Race - Abingdon, VA

Entry in this race was through a lottery system where entries were accepted New Year’s day.  This was my second attempt trying to get a bib for this race, but in 2020, I was not selected for the race.  The race took place in Southwest VA on the historical Virginia Creeper Trail.   The race would start at Whitetop (elev. 4,000 ft) and we would run approximately 17 miles downhill to Damascus (dropbag/aid station) then another 17 miles to Abingdon. Once we arrived in Abindon we would run back up to Whitetop (33 miles) then back to Abingdon (33 miles) where we would finish.  I would attempt to tackle this race without a crew or pacers.  The previous year, my buddy John C. said he would crew/pace for me, but I wasn't sure the offer still stood and I did not want to inconveniece him.  

 


My preparation for this race was very similar as my preparation for my two previous 100 milers.   Approximately, 20 miles during the week and back-to-back long runs, Saturday and Sunday.  These long runs ranged from 10-30 miles, with the peak week (70 miles/week) ending with a 50k followed up by a 20 milers.   Because most of this training cycle occurred during the Summer, I spent a lot of time on the treadmill.   I even ran my long runs on the treadmill.   I wondered if all the treadmill would help or harm me.  Several weeks prior to the race, I made sure the majority of my runs were outdoors.  I did notice that the treadmill helped me maintain my pace while out running on the treadmills.  I think I was inadvertently running tempo runs on the treadmill because I was forced to keep a steady pace without stopping. Something I wasn’t doing outside in the heat. I was also able to increase the incline to prepare my legs for the increase elevation of Yeti 100.    I tapered a bit differently this time due to flashbacks of feeling that my legs were overly tired prior to C&O Canal 100.   I cut out all strength training for my legs 2 weeks prior.  I do believe that I was doing too much in preparation for C&O.  

 

I decided that I would drive up the day before the race get a hotel early in an attempt to get rest prior to the race.   I stayed in the Motel 6 in a neighboring town of Bristol.   It was about a 20-minute drive from Abingdon where we would board the shuttle bus.  After checking into the hotel, I hopped back into the car and headed to Abingdon for packet pickup.   I met my running buddy Karen there.  Packet pickup was a fast process.   I got my bib and my swag (which included a skateboard deck).  I ran into several other North Carolina runners at packet pickup (Scott, Sean, Jessica and Charlotte).  I stuck around to see if my buddies Lisa and Keshia, but I did not see them at all until race day.  Karen and I got in our cars and headed to the town of Damascus which was 14 miles away.    Damascus was the dropbag site.  When we got there, there were several tarps lying on the ground outside.  We were to place our belongings on the tarp.    I wondered to myself if anyone would bother our belongings at night while no one was there.  Fortunately, that wasn’t the case.  Everything was okay the morning of the race. 



The NC group at packet pick up.


The Red Caboose at Damascus Town Park


My next stop was supposed to be a Chinese Food restaurant to pick up some fried rice or noodles.   I had second thoughts as I was driving there due to a flashback of a runner at C&O Canal 100 that had major GI problems from eating at a restaurant the night before.  He wasn’t able to overcome the GI problems which eventually caused him to drop from the race.  I decided it was probably best to just stop by Walmart and pick up a something I could pop in the microwave.   I decided that Amy’s Paneer and Mateer would be a safe choice.  Not too much spice and my body would probably appreciate the rice.   I also picked up breakfast for the next morning which consisted of a bagel and a banana.  

 

After dinner, I showered and laid out my race gear on the bed.  I made sure I had everything then packed everything into my hydration pack.  I looked at my watch and saw that I had about 6 ½ hours before I had to get up.   I was so excited because 6.5 hours is probably what I normally get on a regular day.  However,  it was too good to be true.  I tossed and turned for several hours.  Initially, I thought it was pre-race jitters, but then I remembered that I took a I took a 5-Hour Energy on the drive from NC to VA. I wondered why I was still feeling the effects of the drink.  Probably 8 hours had passed since I had taken the drink.   I tried everything I could to fall asleep.  I tried music, hypnosis MP3s, and even putting a pillow over my head.  Nothing would work.  I looked at my watch and it was already 2 a.m!!!  I knew that this wasn’t good.

 

I awakened that next morning (with only 3 hours of sleep) but I didn’t feel too bad.   I got dressed, got all my gear together and made that 20-minute drive down 81 to Abingdon.   When I arrived at the shuttle site, there was plenty parking.   I called Karen to make sure she didn’t oversleep her alarm and she let me know she was on her way.   Once I got on the shuttle, everything went well until about 10 minutes into the ride.  I began felling really hot.  I thought it was just because the shuttle driver had the heater on blast, but I also started to feel nauseous, and my lower GI seemed to be affected too.   It had been years since I’ve had this sensation but was able to recognize it as motion sickness.   The driver was taking the curvy road really fast and really whipping the vehicle from side to side.   I was afraid to ask the driver to pull over because I didn’t want anyone being mad at me for making us late for the race.    The driver stated we have 20 more minutes left in the drive.  I thought that I wouldn’t make it and that my race would be over before it started because the sensation to defecate was so urgent.   However, that wasn’t the case.  We arrive at Whitetop without incident.   The cold mountain air actually felt good and help to cool me down.   I found the nearest tree and relieved myself.  That along with a couple Ginger chews that I had tucked away made me feel a bit better, but my head was still spinning.   I didn’t know if it was from the lack of sleep, the motion sickness or a combination of both.  From previous experiences, I knew that nausea would take several hours to subside.   I wasn’t sure how the race would turn out, but I told myself to make it to Damascus before deciding if I wanted to drop or not.  

 

Jason Green the race director gave a great motivational speech prior to the start.    As we started running, Karen met up with me and we chatted some.   I think we ran a couple miles together and told her she didn’t have to stay with me.   I know she’s a sub-24 runner and I’m a 28-hour runner.    I didn’t want her holding back on my account.   We wished each other good luck and she trotted ahead.   As I was running, I started a run/walk (4:2).  Probably around the fifth mile, I met a runner from the Raleigh area named Heather.   It was our first Yeti and her first hundred.   We discussed the importance of nutrition and we found out we had similar nutritional plans for the race.    I also, met another runner from Raleigh but I don’t recall his name.  He had forgotten both of this water bottles and had to settle for two of the water bottles that you would get out of a vending machine.   We all traveled together until the first aid station at Taylor Valley.   As I was leaving, I came across Lisa and Keshia, we chatted a bit and I headed back out.  Heather asked the other Raleigh runner if his water tasted funny and he said it tasted like bleach.   I told my Tailwind was a bit off too, it tasted like dish soap.   She panicked a little thinking that it would negatively affect her.  I think we all traveled together until we arrived at the Damascus aid station. By the time I arrived, all the issued related to motion sickness had resolved.   I wasn’t at Damascus long, but longer than I expected because the drop bags had been moved from their original location.  It wasn’t a big deal for me because I brought a 30L Hiking backpack that was bright orange.   I did hear stories about a runner blowing a gasket because he couldn’t find his drop bag and it was causing him additional time at the aid station.   

Heading towards Damascus with Heather.


The Drop Bag.


I exited Damascus and made my way to Alvarado.  I felt really good for the first 50k, but as I headed back to the Damascus my legs were beginning to fatigue.   I did a lot of walking from Alvarado to Damascus.  On my way there, I met up with another Raleigh area runner, Malin.   After talking to her, she eventually told me that she had run multiple 100 milers.  She was very humble.   I walked several miles with her and she started running again, I told her to go ahead of me, because my legs were so tired.   As she was running, she made it look so easy.  I decided I should give it a try and see if I could do the same.  The first 50 meters were fairly uncomfortable, but as I kept running, I noticed that my legs loosened up.  We eventually made it back to Damascus (Mile 48-ish).  Earlier I let her know that I had a blister forming on my heel. She offered me a liquid bandage type spray but gave a warning that it could make it worse.  

 

At the aid station I saw my buddy Shawn helping Jessica with a blister.   I located my bag and headed to the picnic shelter.  I must’ve had a look of despair on my face as I was walking.  I was super fatigued, moreso than I usually am at mile 50 and I was concerned about the huge blister that was forming on my heel.  I wasn’t sure how to treat it.   Shawn stated, “Hey Laurence, what are you doing?” I replied back, “I’m just going over here” as I sat down.  He jokingly stated, “Ok, don’t get beat up.”  He must’ve been reading my mind, because I was thinking that this blister is big enough to give me an excuse to quit this race.   Also, I knew his statement was a statement where he wanted me to keep pushing and continue.  I thought if he is out here all day at every aid station to greet not only his runner (Jessica) but the other NC runners, I can at least put in the effort to continue.  At the aid station I did my best to treat the blister.  I had and Iodine swab with I used to clean my heel and the safety pin.   I made two small punctures in the  blister, to promote drainage.  I was given a “blister pack” by one the aid station volunteers.  I grabbed warmed weather gear (hat, gloves, pants, hood sweatshirt, hand warmers) refilled my pack, ate some and greeted Lisa and Keshia who arrived at the aid station shortly after I did.  I changed my shoes thinking they wouldn’t rub in the same spot and I was glad that I did.   I spent way too much time at the aid station. I think after analyzing the Garmin data, it was close to 45 minutes.  That was way too long and chipped away at the cushion I had between aid station cutoffs.  As I was leaving, I linked up with Lisa and Keshia and we headed out to make the 17-mile trip back to Whitetop.   Lisa took the lead with the group.   We walked a bit and began run/walk intervals.   I knew we were still ahead of the cutoff times, but not by much.   Once we reached the Green Cove aid station (63 miles), I saw that we were only 30 minutes ahead of the cutoff.   That was way to close for me and I began steadily running again.  My legs didn’t want to at first, but again they loosened up with time.  As I climbed, the temperatures began to drop considerably and the wind began to pick up.   I put on my hooded sweatshirt and continued up the mountain to Whitetop.   I began experiencing some really bad lows.  I just didn’t want to run anymore.  I wanted to quit. Most of the mental techniques I use to get me through a low just wasn’t working.   I told myself make it to Whitetop then I would reevaluate things, then quit if I still felt like it. 

    

     Once I reached Whitetop, I was excited, but drained.  I had been able to gain an additional 15 minutes to add to the cushion I had between cut-off times.   The Whitetop volunteer (which I later learned was Mike) chatted with me a bit, gave me some tips and said to mix some running in with my walking to loosen things up.  He even gave me some of his personal  baby wipes.   What he didn’t know, is that I had planned to quit.   I just couldn’t.  Not because I had the drive to continue on, but because there wasn’t any transportation to take me back down the mountain.   While I was there, Mike was the only one there.  As I was putting on my warm-up pants, Lisa and Keshia arrived.   Lisa made a comment about putting on my pants.  She had been telling me to put them on for a couple hours now.   She is a much more experienced runner and has completed some tough and amazing races.  Some that spanned across several states.   I probably should’ve listened to her earlier.  Now, I had a chill.   It wasn’t too bad, but I knew I had to keep moving to maintain my body temperature.  

    

    My memory of the section from Whitetop back to Damascus (66-84) is a bit fuzzy.  I know I ran sections of it with Lisa and Keshia, but I do remember running a lot of it solo.  There were times where I was the only one running that I could see.  On several occasions during this section, I switched my headlamp to red beam and sat on the bridge for a couple minutes.  It was enough to rest my feet and give them a break from the constant pounding.   At one point, while resting on a bridge, I felt myself nodding off and decided I shouldn’t do away with resting on the bridge because I’d risk falling asleep and ruining my race.  I kept up with the run/walk intervals but shortened them to a 1:1.  I was able to create about an hour cushion between cutoffs.  I began thinking that I could actually complete this race.

     

    As the sun began to peek over the horizon, I eventually arrived back at Damascus (84 miles) and dropped off any gear that wasn’t needed and replenished my pack with some of the snacks that I brought with me.   I picked up an egg and cheese burrito and headed back out towards Abingdon.  This late in the race I had trouble eating solids.  They would make me gag.  I used the tailwind powder that I had and doubled up the amount of mix I was putting in each 20 oz. bottle.   I put two baggies (2 scoops/bag) in each bottle.  This along with small bites of the burrito helped me.  The trip from Damascus to Abingdon was uneventful except for a cough I developed.  It was likely due to the cold air that I was sucking in during the Whitetop to Green Cove stretch.   It felt like I developed an acute case of bronchitis.  I ran a lot more that I had in earlier stretches of the race.  I eventually made my way to the Alvarado aid station and sat for a while.   The volunteers at the aid station there were very friendly and encouraging.   I was given information that I had about 8.5 miles left.  I prepared a couple more bottles of my concentrated Tailwind and headed down the road to Abingdon.   As I was running on the trail, I noticed that more people that weren’t associated with the race were out.  I explained to a couple why what we were doing on the trail and that the climb to Whitetop took me out.   He commented on how cold it was at Green Cove. 

     


    Eventually, I made my way toward the finish line.  About ½ mile out, one lady clapped and cheered me on, exclaiming, “You only have a half mile left.”  I later learned that was the first-place winner that had given everyone high-fives earlier in the race.   When I saw the blow-up arch that said Yeti Trail Races, I began to run faster.   Everyone was cheering me on.   I crossed the threshold, and the race director gave me a big hug.   He was known for hugging those that finished his races.   I let him know that I’m a flatlander and “we don’t do elevation.”   He laughed and congratulated me.    While standing there, I received a text from Karen stating she wanted to see me finish but she couldn’t move.  I sent her a text of a picture of Jason and I at the finish line.   She met me at the finish line and we waited for the remaining runners to finish.  Mike from Whitetop was waiting at the finish and congratulated me.  I thanked him for his running tips.  I even told him of my plans to quit once I reached Whitetop.  He let me know that he would not have let that happen.  Lisa and Kesha came in not much later and we all sat around and chatted for a bit before heading our separate ways. 



Jason the Race Director.
Thank God I made it!


Keishia, Lisa, Myself, and Karen at the Finish!
(From Left to Right, starting at red shirt)


Mike from Whitetop


Karen and I with our buckles. Her buckle is different because she is a 2nd time finisher.


Close-up of the buckle.




No comments:

Post a Comment